August 21, 2016

The Challenge Continues . . . The 2010 Buckeye Book Award Winner


And the reading challenge continues!  As stated in a previous post, my librarian friend Ashley Lambacher of the Book Talker and I are hosting the Buckeye Book Award Reading Challenge.  Our goal is to read all the past winners from the children’s book category in chronological order from 1982 to the present.  I will read the K-2 picture book winners and Ashley will read the 4-8/3-5 chapter book winners.  Today I continue my challenge by reading the winner of the K-2 Buckeye Book Award in 2010, Rhyming Dust Bunnies by Jan Thomas.

The Rhyming Dust Bunnies introduces us to Ed, Ned, Ted, and Bob.  As they like to say "We rhyme all the time!"  On this particular day Ed starts them off with wondering "Hey! What rhymes with car?" Everyone puts in a vote except for Bob.  Bob is sort of staring in the distance and saying things like "Look!" and "Look Out!" instead of words that rhyme.  The other bunnies are confused by Bob's seeming inability to rhyme, but his name is Bob while they’re names are Ed, Ned, and Ted - maybe he’s just different.  Even when he says "Look out! Here comes a big scary monster with a broom!" they're not quite catching on.  Finally he screams out "Run for it!" and the troop run and hide under a dresser.  However, when they attempt to restart their rhyming antics, "sat" "pat" and "rat" are completed with Bob's timely "vacuum cleaner!" and with a mighty "Thwptt" off they go.  Thomas’ digital images are colorful, simple, and appealing to young readers.  I celebrate all Jan Thomas books, and I’m pleased Rhyming Dust Bunnies won the 2010 Buckeye Book Award.

Ashley - I know you are a fan of Jan Thomas, right?  Your upcoming 2010 book is Zoobreak.  This is a cute series but I think book #1, Swindle, is the best of the bunch.  I consider Gordan Korman one of my favorite authors, so I’m pleased to see that one of his books won a Buckeye Book Award.  

Would you like to join Ashley and I as we read through Ohio’s award winning books?  We welcome any and all who are interested in participating in this fun reading challenge.  For more information, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute book. Endless giggles when reading this one to students! Rhyming Dust Bunnies is a great winner for the younger ages!

    I've only ever read Swindle, so I'm interested to see what Zoobreak is like! I, too, love Korman. He never disappoints!

    ReplyDelete